Table of the bodies (see here below)
How the Lycée works?
The LFIA is a French school in Belgium. It is managed legally and financially by a non-profit organisation under Belgian law, mainly composed of pupils’ parents.
As it is a French school, the LFIA must follow the French Department of Education regulations (programs, teaching methods and school life), in order to get pupils prepared for the French examinations, under the authority of the Agency for French Education Abroad (AEFE), represented by the Headmistress. This French education involves largely pupils and parents to the school’s life.
The non-profit organisation and the AEFE have signed a convention defining the powers of one another and ruling their relations.
Thus, all parents are involved in the life of the LFIA with roles and fields of intervention differing according to the bodies to which they belong, from advising to making decisions.
ROLE OF THE PARENTS IN THE DIFFERENT BODIES
As members of the school community, parents play a very important role within the school.
Each year parent representatives are nominated in the different bodies (see table below): representative in the Conseil d’Ecole (School council) / Conseil d’Administration (School board).
The Party Committee gathers voluntary parents in order to organise different entertaining events during the school year (Christmas market, International Dinner, fair…).
As a parent, which role can I play ?
1. I can always help, for instance by accompanying school daytrips or baking cakes or meals during festive events.
2. I can be a member of the Party Committee to organise festive events in the school.
3. If I want to be more informed and more involved in the school, I can:
– be a class representative (or substitute) and participate to the School Council
– get informed and participate to the debates concerning the managing and directions of the school by participating to the general assembly of the non-profit organisation in January
– apply as administrator of the non-profit organisation and sit in the School Board which rules the school legally and financially. I may also play there a particular role as treasurer, secretary or president.
Table of the bodies