The Lycée Français International, founded in 1901, was first a Belgian establishment for French-speaking education known as Institut Rochez then Lycée d’Anvers. In 1919 a girl-school called Collège Marie-José was opened in the present buildings of the LFI.
The establishment evolved then during the reforms of Belgian education during the 1970s.
In 2001, it became the Lycée Français International. Part of the network of the AEFE (Agency for French Education Abroad), it guarantees that French programs and values are respected in every Lycée Français abroad thanks to a service of inspections and regional coordination.
The Lycée has led strong actions to reinforce its attractiveness by developing bilingual cursus (French-Dutch, French-English).